Morgenbladet Thursday May 24th 1906
(submitted by Per Helge Seglsten)
The new steamer which now will depart on her first voyage from Norway to England, has by all maritime authorities received a great deal of praise. The ship is built specially for the Christiania route, and is equipped with all remedies which modern shipbuilding techniques can offer to these new floating hotels.
The first class dining salon, library, ladies saloon and smoking saloon is located amidships. None of these saloons are equipped with te same luxury as the great steamers, but the tasty arrangements, and the English elegance has made these bright saloons the most comfortable and wonderful places to stay during a voyage at sea. The saloon is seldomly nice, held in a light English oak, without any paint and gold. In stead of curtains, the windows are decorated with sash stained glass-paintings with Norwegian prospects.
Also the 2nd class is specially comfortable equipped, with cabins on the lower deck, equipped with toilet and bathroom. On 3rd class there are 15 nice cabins with accommodation for 90 passengers, and on the steerage there is accommodation for 410 passengers. Also here the equipment is nice and proper, with bright and well ventilated rooms. The ship is built by Earles shipbuilding & engineering Co. It is the highest class in the British Lloyds, is 290 feet of length, 39 feet breadth and on trails the 12th of May achieved a speed of 13½ miles.
It is worth mentioning that the ship is equipped with modern installations as a smart device which controls the electric lanterns, which can nor go out without setting off an alarm which will notify the duty officer. The ship is mastered by captain Pepper, who before was the master of the Christiania route ship "Montebello"