1/2 cup uncooked rice, washed
3 cups boiling water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/3 cups condensed milk
1/2 cu raisins, if desired
2 eggs, slightly beaten, if desired*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Put rice, water and salt in top of double boiler. Cover and put over bottom of double boiler containing rapidly boiling water.
2. Cook until rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
3. Stir in condensed milk and raisins.
4. If eggs are not used continue heating over rapidly boiling water until mixture thickens slightly , about 12 minutes. If eggs are used, reduce heat and add eggs slowly while stirring rapidly; continue to heat until mixture coats a spoon, a bout 6 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and nutmeg.
6. Serve warm or cold.
*NOTE: The eggs make a thicker, richer pudding.