Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Renault’

1899 – Nesseldorf

1899_nesseldorf_thumb2

Although their factory was in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. the Nesselsdorfer Wagenbau Gesellschaft, founded in the early nineteenth century. were coachbuilders to the Prussian Court as well as makers of railway carriages. They built their first car in 1897. A 5hp four-seater with a Benz flat-twin power unit. Among those concerned in the construction of this vehicle, known as the President, was a young engineer named Hans Ledwinka. In 1899, he designed this racing car for Nesselsdorf, and with it the wealthy industrialist Theodor von Liebig achieved a number of competition successes in France. Germany and and Austria. In 1923, the Nesselsdorfer company, which now found itself in the new Czech republic. was renamed Tatra.


1899 Renault

1899_renault_thumb2

In 1899, a more powerful Renault voiturette appeared, with a 1 3/4 hp power unit, again built by De Dion. Now, the wheelbase could be lengthened to take an extra passenger on a spider seat. However, Renault had already built a prototype saloon car, a stumpy two-seater which resembled the Holy City in that the length, the height and the breadth of it were equal.


1900 Clement-Gladiator

1900_clement_gladiator_thumb2

Neat, light and elegant, the 1900 Clement-Gladiator is everything that its stablemate, the Clement-Panhard, was not. Power was provided by a 2 1/4 hp De Dian engine geared to the back axle; giving the little car a lively performance. By 1903, the Clement company, whose factory was at Levallols-Perret, Seine. France. had been acquired by Harvey Du Cros, of the English Dunlop company. Its founder. Adolphe Clement, then began producing cars under the name Clement-Bayard.


1900 Georges Richard

1900_georges_richard_thumb2

The first car built by Georges Richard of Ivry-Port, near Paris. was a feeble machine with belt drive. which appeared in 1897. However, by 1900, the company was producing a far more reliable vehicle in the shape of this little voiturette, designed by the Vivinus company of Brussels. Belt-driven with a 3 1/2 hp single cylinder engine. it was one of the liveliest and most refined light cars of its day. The Vivinus was also built under licence in Britain by New Orleans of Twickenham.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Read Full Post »

1898 Delahaye

1898_delahaye_thumb3

A ‘bubbling carburettor’ was one of the unusual features of the power unit of this 1898 Delahaye, Others were a particularly reliable electric ignition system and the fact that no governor was fitted to the engine, at a time when most car builders believed in controlling power units so that they would run at a constant speed. Also, the Delahaye, which has a sound racing pedigree, was fitted with dual exhaust cams, one set for starting and one set for normal running up to a heady 25mph.


1898 Egg

1898_egg_thumb2

Believed to be Switzerland’s oldest surviving car, this 1898 Egg was built in Zurich by Rudolf Egg. Like its ecclesiastical namesake, the Egg was ‘good in parts’; it featured an infinitely variable belt transmission on similar lines to the modern DAF Variomatic, but the differential gear was completely exposed, operating without lubricant or protection. Also, its straight-cut bevel gears must have been fearfully noisy in operation.


1898 Renault

1898_renault_thumb2

In 1898, a wealthy button-maker’s son named Louis Renault built himself a light car for amusement, but received so many orders from friends that he decided to put it into production, In the first six months, sixty cars like this one were delivered, with 273cc air-cooled De Dion engines-from which Renault carefully chiselled the name- mounted at the front behind a wire-mesh grille. The outstanding feature of the Renault was its shaft-drive transmission.

1899 Daimler

1899_daimler_thumb2

Owned by the Hon John Scott Montagu, father of the present Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, this 1899 Daimler was the first British car to race on the Continent with a British driver. Montagu took third place in the tourist class in the 1899 Paris-Ostend race with this 3-litre, four cylinder car. In the next year, it won a bronze medal in the Thousand Miles Trial, and by 1902 it was already being described as ‘a good old stager’, having covered well over 20,000 miles.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Read Full Post »

1174907_mc

This Renault 4CV based microcar was presented at the Paris Salon in 1950. It was a three-seater convertible. The single backseat was turned 90 degrees and the passenger had to look at the roof.

Henri Labourdette was a prestigious coach builder and his trademark ‘Vutotal’ was a stylistic concept that he also applied to Rolls Royce. Vutotal stood for aerodynamic elegant lines, less prominent (head)lights and a patented total view (‘Vutotal’) around. His convertibles did not have any side or top frame. The windows were completely panoramic or attached with thin glue layers.

Text and image found on mrscharroo’s photostream on Flickr

Enhanced by Zemanta

Read Full Post »

11749134_rab2

The Alpine A110, also known as the "Berlinette", was a sports car produced by the French manufacturer Alpine from 1961 to 1977. The A110 was powered by various Renault engines.

The A110 achieved most of its fame in the early 1970s as a victorious rally car. After winning several rallies in France in the late 1960s with iron-cast R8 Gordini engines the car was fitted with the aluminium-block Renault 16 TS engine. With two dual-chamber Weber 45 carburetors the TS engine delivered 125 hp (93 kW) DIN at 6000 rpm. This allowed the production 1600S to reach a top speed of 210 km/h (130 mph).

11749134_rab1 11749134_rab3
Enhanced by Zemanta

Read Full Post »

01921_ra_03

01921_ra_01

01921_ra_02

01921_ra_04   Images found at:Free-Car-Brochures
Enhanced by Zemanta

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: